Resources focused on incorporating DEI into higher education, as well as pedagogical approaches to inclusive classrooms.
University DEI Resources
- American University, Antiracist Praxis, Defining Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Georgetown University, Center for New Design in Learning & Scholarship
- Harvard University, Office for Equity, Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging
- Harvard Medical School, Office for Diversity Inclusion & Community Partnership
- Northeastern University, 4 Practices to Promote Equity in the Classroom
- Queens University of Charlotte, Center for the Advancement of Faculty Excellence
- Stanford University, Diversity Works and Resource Directory
- Stanford Law School, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Stanford Medicine, Diversity at Stanford Medicine
- Stanford Graduate School of Business, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and Annual DEI Report
- Tufts University, Center for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning, Diversity and Inclusion in the College Classroom
- University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley Diversity, Diversity Data
- University of California, Los Angeles, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion, Diversity in the Classroom
- University of Delaware, Center for Teaching & Assessment of Learning, Diversity and Inclusive Teaching
- University of Maryland, Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility Research Guide
- University of Rhode Island, Office for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning
- Vanderbilt University, Center for Teaching, Increasing Inclusivity in the Classroom
- Washington University in St. Louis, Center for Teaching and Learning
- Valerie Alexandra, Karent Holcombe Ehrhart & Amy E. Randel, Cultural Intelligence, Perceived Inclusions, and Cultural Diversity in Workgroups, 168 Personality and Individual Differences (2021). [article behind paywall]
- Jen’nea Sumo et al., The Development of an Online Diversity and Inclusion Community: Promoting a Culture of Inclusions within a College of Nursing, 37 Journal of Professional Nursing 18 (2021). [article behind paywall]
- Tiffany Taylor Smith & Leslie H. Picca, Educating the Educators: Leaning in to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Age of Zoom (2021).
- Kim M. Thompson & Clayton A. Copeland, Making the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Mindset Indispensable in the LIS Classroom Through Design, Content, Communication, and Assessment, in Humanizing LIS Education and Practice: Diversity by Design (2021).
- Shinobu Kitayama, Perspectives and the Truth: Another Case for Diversity and Inclusion, Association for Psychological Science (Jan. 6, 2021).
- Samina Ashraf & Muhammad Uzair-ul-Hassan, Equity Pedagogy as a Means to Address Educational Needs of Students to Burgeon Inclusive Culture in Colleges and Universities, 23 Journal of Educational Research 1 (2020). [article behind paywall]
- Milton A. Fuentes, David G. Zelaya & Joshua W. Madsen, Rethinking the Course Syllabus: Considerations for Promoting Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, 48 Teaching of Psychology (2020).
- Duke W. Austin et al., Diversity and Inclusion Curriculum: Addressing Culturally Relevant Pedagogy and the Achievement Gap at a Racially Diverse University, 11 Currents in Teaching & Learning 223 (2019). [article behind paywall]
- Amer F. Ahmend & Shayla Herndon-Edmunds, Classroom Diversity and Inclusive Pedagogy, ACUE Community (Feb. 21, 2018).
- J.D. Snowball & S. McKenna, Student-Generated Content: An Approach to Harnessing the Power of Diversity in Higher Education, 22 Teaching in Higher Education 604 (2017).
- Office of Planning, Evaluation and Policy Development, Office of the Under Secretary, U.S. Department of Education, Advancing Diversity and Inclusion in Higher Education: Key Data Highlights Focusing on Race and Ethnicity and Promising Practices (November 2016).
- Baylie Hart Clarida et al., Strategies for Digital Inclusion: Towards a Pedagogy for Embracing and Sustaining Student Diversity and Engagement with Online Learning, IAFOR Journal of Education 86 (2015).
- Sabrina N. Ross, Diversity and Intergroup Contract in Higher Education: Exploring Possibilities for Democratization Through Social Justice Education, 19 Teaching in Higher Education 870 (2014).
- Inclusive Teaching: Presence in the Classroom, New Directions for Teaching and Learning (Special Issue on Inclusive Learning (2014)).
- Sylvia Hurtado & Chelsea Guillermo-Wann, University of California, Los Angeles Higher Education Research Institute, Diverse Learning Environments: Assessing and Creating Conditions for Student Success – Final Report to the Ford Foundation (2013).
- Gail A. Dawson, Using Conversational Learning to Enhance Teaching of Diversity, 7 e-Journal of Business Education and Scholarship of Teaching 31 (2013).
- A. Helene Robinson, Using Creativity and Collaboration to Develop Innovative Programs That Embrace Diversity in Higher Education, 5 Collected Essays on Learning and Teaching 6 (2012).
- K. Dara Hill, We’re Actually Comfortable with Diversity: Affirming Teach Candidates for Culturally Relevant Reading Pedagogy in Urban Practicum, 34 Action in Teacher Education 420 (2012). [article behind paywall]
- Bobby Ann Starnes, Rethinking Diversity, 92 The Phi Delta Kappan 74 (2010). [article behind paywall]
- Hala Elhoweris et al., College Students’ Myths about Diversity and What College Faculty Can Do, 12 Multicultural Education 13 (2004).
Books on Teaching & DEI
- Jaime Hoffman, Patrick Blessinger & Mandla Makhanya, Editors, Perspectives on Diverse Student Identities in Higher Education: International Perspectives on Diversity and Inclusion (2019).
- Philathia Bolton, Cassander L. Smith & Lee Bebout, Editors, Teaching With Tension: Race, Resistance, and Reality in the Classroom (2019).
- harlene Voogd Cochrane, Meenakshi Chhabra, Marjorie A. Jones & Deborah Spragg, Culturally Responsive Teaching and Reflection in Higher Education (2017).
- Amy Lee, et al., Teaching Interculturally: A Framework for Integrating Disciplinary Knowledge and Intercultural Development (2017).
- Christopher Emdin, For White Folks Who Teach in the Hood … and the Rest of Y’all Too : Reality Pedagogy and Urban Education (2016).
- Caprice D. Hollins & Ilsa Govan, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Strategies for Facilitating Conversations on Race (2015).
Opinion Pieces on Inclusion
- Deborah S. Willis, Job Seeker, Change Agent:…Even in a Quest for Employment, Seeking to Access and Support Organizations’ Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Social Justices Goals Can Be Beneficial, Inside Higher Ed (Dec. 14, 2020).
- Patrick Berkery, Strengthening La Salle’s Community of Inclusivity (Oct. 12, 2020).
- Angelyn Francis, Why Business Schools Will Need a Curriculum Overhaul if Corporations Are Going to Meet Their Pledges for Equity, Inclusion and Diversity, Toronto Star (Oct. 4, 2020).
- Bobby T. Rimas, Op-ed, More Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Needed to Help Heal Our Nation, South Pasadenan (Sept. 24, 2020).
- Soulaymane Kachani, Catherine Ross & Amanda Irvin, 5 Principles as Pathways to Inclusive Teaching, Insider Higher Ed (Feb. 19, 2020).
- Eli Capilouto & Sonja Feist-Price, Op-ed, The Importance of a Diverse, Inclusive Community (Jan. 7, 2020).
- Kassem L. Lucas, Teaching Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging in Law School, Troutman Pepper (Oct. 5, 2019).
- Viji Sathy & Kelly A. Hogan, How to Make Your Teaching More Inclusive, Chronicle of Higher Education (July 22, 2019).
Selected References from Published Reports on Inclusion
- Ibram X. Kendi, How to Be An Antiracist (2019).
- Anna J. Egalite & Brian Kisida, The Many Ways Teacher Diversity May Benefit Students, Brookings Institution (2016).
- Ibram X. Kendi, Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America (2016).
- Adriana Ruiz Alvarado & Sylvia Hurtado, Diversity in Teaching and Learning: Affirming Students as Empowered Learners, 16(3) Diversity and Democracy (2013).
- Jeffrey F. Milem, Mitchell J. Chang & Anthony Lising Antonio, Making Diversity Work On Campus: A Research Based Perspective (2005).
- Patricia Gurin, Eric L. Dey, Sylvia Hurtado & Gerald Gurin, Diversity and Higher Education: Theory and Impact on Educational Outcomes, 72 Harvard Educational Review 330 (2002).
- Lee Anne Bell, Sincere Fictions: The Pedagogical Challenges of Preparing White Teachers for Multicultural Classrooms, 35 Equity and Excellence in Education 236 (2002).
Selected Websites from Published Reports on Inclusion
Give us Feedback
Updates and revisions will be made regularly to improve the resources of the Clearinghouse. Your feedback is important to us, both to point out sources you think may be unhelpful and to suggest other sources for inclusion. If you would like to offer feedback, please fill out this form.