This page collects resources on how to foster equitable and inclusive practices in the classroom, including checklists to consider when developing your course around inclusive practices. Many of the sources focus on online teaching, and many of these practices can also be adapted to the in-person environment.
- Alexandra N. Sousa, Dialogue in Online Learning Spaces: How Transitioning to Online Learning during a Pandemic Impacts Classroom Dialogue and Inclusivity, 10 Journal of Teaching and Learning with Technology 229 (2021).
- Orit Ezra et al., Equity Factors During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Difficulties in Emergency Remote Teaching (ERT) through Online Learning, Education and Information Technologies (2021).
- Jeremy Amayo et al., Twelve Tips for Inclusive Teaching, 10 MedEdPublish (2021).
- Loretta Donovan et al., The Whole is Greater than the Sum of the Parts: A Self-Study of Equity and Inclusion in Online Teacher Education, 17 Studying Teacher Education 57 (2021). [article behind paywall]
- Frank R. Castelli & Mark A. Sarvary, Why Students Do Not Turn On Their Video Cameras During Online Classes And An Equitable And Inclusive Plan To Encourage Them To Do So, 11 Ecology and Evolution 3565–3576 (2021).
- Flower Darby, 6 Quick Ways to be More Inclusive in a Virtual Classroom, Chronicle of Higher Education (July 23, 2020).
- Teaching in Higher Ed, Culturally Responsive Online Teaching with Courtney Plotts (June 18, 2020). Podcast episode.
- Jennifer Rittner, Design Education Reform: Modeling Equity and Inclusion in Teaching and Learning, 31 Design Management Review 12 (2020). [article behind paywall]
- Junaid Qadir, The Triple Imperatives of Online Teaching: Equity, Inclusion, and Effectiveness (2020). [preprint available]
- Ashley DiFranza, Northeastern University, 4 Practices to Promote Equity in the Classroom (June 24, 2019).
- Kimberly D. Tanner, Structure Matters: Twenty-One Teaching Strategies to Promote Student Engagement and Cultivate Classroom Equity, Life Sciences Education (Oct. 13, 2017).
Centers for Teaching and Learning: Resources on Inclusivity
- Andrew Greer, Vanderbilt Center for Teaching, Increasing Inclusivity in the Classroom
- Cornell University Center for Teaching Innovation, Building Inclusive Classrooms
- Iowa State University, Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, Inclusive Learning Environment Strategies
- Shari Saunders & Diana Kardia, University of Michigan, Center for Research on Learning & Teaching, Creating Inclusive College Classrooms
- Stanford University Center for Teaching and Learning, 10 Strategies for Creating Inclusive & Equitable Online Learning Environments
- Tufts University Center for the Enhancement of Learning and Teaching, Creating an Inclusive Learning Environment
- A robust set of resources, divided into several different categories, including what it means to be inclusive; what are inclusive teaching practices; and inclusive assessments.
- University of Arizona, Disability Resource Center, Inclusive Teaching and Accessibility Strategies
- A collection of resources from several different universities related to inclusive reaching.
- University of Florida Center for Teaching Excellence, Inclusivity in the Classroom
- Washington University in St. Louis Center for Teaching and Learning, Strategies for Inclusive Teaching
- Yale Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning, Diversity and Inclusion Resources.
- Several resources for considering implicit bias, creating inclusive classroom climates, and strategies for inclusive teaching.
Checklists: Are your Course Materials Inclusive?
Association of College and University Educators, Inclusive Teaching Practices Toolkit
10 tips and corresponding videos, applicable to both in person and online courses.
- Colorado School of Mines, Diversity, Inclusion & Access, Inclusive Teaching Practices Tips & Checklist,
- Provides both tips and a checklist for things you want to try and things you have tried.
- Iowa State University, Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, Mindful and Learner-Centered Syllabus Checklist
- Seven steps for creating a learner-centered syllabus.
- Tufts University, Center for the Enhancement of Learning and Teaching, Inclusive Practices Chart
- Provides suggestions related to specific aspects of course design and ways to make it more inclusive.
- UCLA Center for Education Innovation and Learning in the Sciences, Course Checklist for Inclusive Teaching
- Walks through various aspects of a course and includes suggestions for inclusive and equitable practices. Although its title focuses on science courses, the practices apply to all disciplines.
- University of Kansas, Center for Teaching Excellent, Creating an Inclusive Syllabus
- Includes a checklist of resources and provides both a self-assessment tool for your syllabus and checklists of resources and actions you can take to create a more inclusive classroom.
- University of Tasmania, Inclusive Teaching Checklist
- Allows you to survey your course and content for representation, including within activities and the classroom.
- University of Washington, Center for Teaching and Learning, Inclusive Teaching Strategies
- Tips and videos, including a step-by-step guide.
Give us Feedback
Updates and revisions will be made regularly to improve the resources of the Clearinghouse. Your feedback is important to us, both to point out sources you think may be unhelpful and to suggest other sources for inclusion. If you would like to offer feedback, please fill out this form.