Before we showcase the first panel at the CodeX FutureLaw Conference on May 20, a quick update re: our keynote speaker James “Jim” Sandman, President of the Legal Services Corp. On April 19, at the White House Forum on Increasing Access to Justice, Sandman announced a partnership with Microsoft Corp. and Pro Bono Net to develop portals for up to two statewide pilots intended to demonstrate how this approach can be replicated as widely as possible in an economic fashion.
Sandman was joined at the ceremony with Brad Smith, President of Microsoft and Mark O’Brien, Co-founder and Executive Director of Pro Bono Net.
“Microsoft has committed at least $1 million in funding, technical support, and project management services. Pro Bono Net, a national nonprofit organization dedicated to increasing access to justice through innovative uses of technology and increased volunteer lawyer participation, will help convene local partners and provide service design expertise to execute the pilot,” noted the press release. Check out the video here.
HOT OR NOT?
After the keynote, at 10:15 a.m., will be a panel discussion, “Hot or Not—Watson and Beyond.”
The moderator will be Daniel Martin Katz, professor at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, where he is an Associate Professor of Law and Director of The Law Lab @ Illinois Tech (launching this year). Katz is an Affiliated Faculty with CodeX.
• Khalid Al-Kofahi, Vice President of Research and Development at Thomson Reuters, @KKofahi
• Andrew Arruda, CEO and Co-founder of ROSS Intelligence, @AndrewArruda
• Charles Horowitz, Chief Technologist, Center for Judicial Informatics, Sciense and Technology at The Mitre Corp. Center for Judicial Informatics, Science and Technology.
• Himabindu Lakkaraju, Ph.D student in Computer Science, Stanford University, @hima_bindu
• Noah Waisberg, CEO and Co-founder of Kira Systems, @nwaisb
Click here for bios of the speakers.
• What data analytics technologies are in use today?
• What’s real and what’s marketing buzz?
• What’s possible in the foreseeable future?
• What are the implications for providers and consumers of legal services?
• What are the limitations?
• What are the policy implications?
Monica Bay is a CodeX Fellow and freelance journalist and analyst. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Twitter: @MonicaBay
Cover image: Clipart.com