Non-Law Student Registration Information
Please review the contents of this site for information on registering for a course at the Law School. See the “Deadlines” link on the top navigation bar for important Law School deadlines and the “Exams and Papers” link for information on exam/paper procedures and schedules.
Many law courses are open to qualified graduate students in other departments of Stanford University with the consent of the instructor. Some law courses have special enrollment instructions and restrictions. You can view detailed course descriptions on the Courses Schedules and Descriptions page on the Law School website. The course descriptions will include days, times, and locations prior to the start of the term. Non-Law students may not enroll in the first-year required courses.
- Autumn 2015-2016 Non-Law Student Add Request Form
- Winter 2015-2016 Non-Law Student Add Request Form (TBA)
- Spring 2015-2016 Non-Law Student Add Request Form (TBA)
How to Register for a Law Course
- Review the course listings at the Course Schedules and Descriptions page. You will see that some courses have limited enrollment. Law students receive preference in these types of courses. Thus, there are fewer vacancies for Non-Law students. A few limited enrollment courses reserve openings for Non-Law students. These courses are listed on the Non-Law Student Add Request Form and have special registration instructions and deadlines.
- Obtain the instructor’s approval to enroll in the course, complete the Add Request Form and submit the completed form with an approval signature from the instructor to the Office of the Law School Registrar in room 100. The form must be submitted by the appropriate enrollment deadlines for each term.
- You will receive an e-mail from the Law School Office of the Registrar informing you whether we were able to add the course to your study list in Axess. The e-mail notification may take several days. In the meantime, keep attending the course and contact the Reference Desk in the SLS Robert Crown Law Library if you need temporary “Guest” access to Coursework.
Limited Enrollment Courses With Reservations For Non-Law Students
Limited enrollment courses with reserved openings for Non-Law students will be listed on the Non-Law Student Course Add Request Form. You do not need approval from the instructor to bid for one these courses. Non-Law student enrollment in these courses will be determined by a lottery. To bid for one of these courses, you must complete and submit the Add Request Form to the Law School Office of the Registrar (Room 100) by the deadline stated by each course listed on the form. After the deadline, a lottery will be run. You will receive an e-mail notice form the Law School Office of the Registrar before the first day of the class notifying you of your acceptance in the class or placement on a waitlist.