Students in the Criminal Defense Clinic represent indigent persons accused of crimes in the courts of Santa Clara and San Mateo County. The cases encompass a wide range of misdemeanor offenses, such as drug use and possession, assault, and theft.
Under the supervision of Professor Ronald Tyler and Lecturer Suzanne Luban, clinic students represent clients at all stages of criminal proceedings, including investigation, interviewing witnesses, plea negotiations, working with experts, suppression motions, and trials. The members of the Criminal Defense Clinic recognize that being accused of a crime is a difficult circumstance for individuals and their loved ones. At every stage of a case, the clinic’s goal is to provide zealous, client-centered representation.
CDC Featured on MLC Blog
Referrals and Resources
Unfortunately, our limited resources do not allow us to function as a general public defender agency. If you need an attorney in a criminal case please call the public defender agency in your county to see if you are eligible for their services.
- San Mateo County: (650) 298-4030
- Santa Clara County: (408) 299-7700
- San Mateo County Case Information: http://www.sanmateocourt.org/midx/
- Santa Clara County Case Information: Santa Clara County
- San Mateo County Lawyer Referral Service: (650) 369-4149
- California Lawyer Referral Service: (866) 442-2529