Welcome to Stanford Law School!
I’m delighted that you have decided to join our community. You are now part of one of the nation’s leading institutions for legal scholarship and education. Our alumni are among the most influential decision makers in law, politics, business, and high technology. Our faculty members argue before the Supreme Court, testify before Congress, produce outstanding legal scholarship and empirical analysis, and contribute regularly to the nation’s press as legal and policy experts. SLS has established a new model for legal education that provides rigorous interdisciplinary training, hands-on experience, global perspective, and focus on public service, spearheading a movement for change. Our students are the leaders of tomorrow. And, our wonderful staff make this all possible.
Jenny S. Martinez
Richard E. Lang Professor of Law and Dean of Stanford Law School
Welcome to Stanford Law School! We hope you will find the information on this page helpful as you start your career at SLS. Watch this video for helpful tips and to get to know some of your colleagues!
Things to Do in the Next 30 Days:
We’ve put together a list of reminders for you not to forget since we know how busy and time consuming starting a new position can be. You can find the list of items below.
- Request your SUNet ID (Stanford University Network Identifier)
- Make your enrollment elections for benefits. You have 31 calendar days from date of hire.
- Download the Stanford mobile app to access an electronic ID card and the Stanford Health Check.
- Set up Voicemail
- Purchase a parking permit or look into commuter options or incentives if you are not driving to campus.
- Sign up for all appropriate new hire trainings – especially the Sexual Harassment Prevention training!
- Complete Payroll Forms on Axess.stanford.edu – Employee Information:
- A new employee MUST! Read over and submit the Patent and Copyright Agreement, which is located on the Employee Information tab in Axess. See the Legal section located on the bottom right hand of the page.
- Enter your emergency contact information in Stanford You and setup your AlertSU.
- Learn more about SLS: Join the Conversation and explore our blogs, newsletters and other publications
- Add the SLS Academic eCalendar to your Google Calendars
- You can easily add the SLS calendar to your Google Calendar by clicking on this link.
- You can enable the calendar for apps syncing with your Law Google Calendar on your smartphones, tablets, and CalDAV desktop applications like Apple Calendar and Fatastical here (or if your mobile device syncs by Exchange, tap here from that device).
For other calendar systems (Outlook, Office365, etc…) you can subscribe to the calendar with this link.
- Last, for those who simply want to see the calendar on the web, you can do so here.
All University employees are required to take the following training courses:
- Attend The Cardinal at Work Welcome Center – Contact the HR office
- Harassment Prevention Training
- Employee Information Security Awareness
- General Safety & Emergency Preparedness (Stars course code: EHS-4200).
- Administrative Guide Acknowledgement (Stars course code: HRC-3161)
- Financial Systems Confidentiality Statement – for employees whose job it is to work with confidential financial data or systems.
- Ergonomics: Computer Workstation, if you use a computer at work (Stars course code: EHS-3400).
- File Storage Security, this video provides security awareness relevant to sharing files at Stanford. This is a requirement for all staff and faculty. (Stars course code: IPSO-1000-WEB).
- Stanford University Acknowledgement of Mandated Reporter – for employees whose job it is to interact with minors (under 18 years of age). (Stars course code: OGC-0001-WEB).
- COVID-19 Hygiene Best Practices (Stars course code: EHS-2470-WEB)
- *Must be completed before any on-site visits*
You will need a SUNet ID and password to access the Axess portal. Your SUNet ID is a unique identifier, specifically for you to use to access many online services at Stanford. For more information, please click here.
The University provides useful information for new employees on their new hire website – please make sure to review this site as well.
- Pay dates fall on the 7th and 22nd of each month. If those dates fall on a holiday or weekend, you will be paid on the business day prior.
- Direct Deposit
- Federal and State Withholdings
- Paycheck Modeler
- Axess Timecard
- Non-Exempt Employees and Breaks:
- A non-exempt employee must be provided with an unpaid meal period of at least 30 minutes after no more than five hours of work, and a second meal period of at least 30 minutes after no more than ten hours of work.
- In addition, the university provides non-exempt employees a 15 minute paid rest period for each four hours of work or “major fraction” of four hours of work. A 15 minute rest break should not be added to extend a 30 minute meal break and should not be taken at the very beginning or end of shift. You do not need to record the 15 minute rest break in your timecard.
- If for some reason you have not been able to take your rest break, please notify your supervisor.
- Policies on using your accruals
- Designated University Holidays
- Winter Closure 2021 – University shut down dates
- Information about the Family Medical Leave Act can be found here. Employee Rights and Responsibilities FMLA
- Information about Paid Family Leave, also called Temporary Family Disability can be found here.
Benefits and Perks
- Educational Assistance Programs
- Staff Training Assistance Program (STAP)
- Staff Tuition Reimbursement Program (STRP)
- Tuition Grant Program (TGP)
- Stanford-Mobile Phone Service Discount
- Stanford Federal Credit Union
- Health Improvement Program
Employees who are relocating may want to explore the following resources for housing options in the area:
- Average costs for rentals in the area
- Housing Resources including Craigslist
- Information about Stanford surrounding neighborhoods
- Stanford Rental Resources
- Stanford Rental Guide
If you have suggestions for ways we can add value to this site, please let us know by emailing Human Resources.